Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Crockpot Barbecue Beer Pulled Pork

One of my favorite things about going to graduation parties when I was in high school was always the food.  Besides the cake (shout out to Craig's Cake Shop in Verona, WI!), you could almost always count on there to be some sort of hot sandwich served, and most likely that sandwich was going to be pulled pork.  I usually got my fair share of pulled pork to last until the next graduation party season, but now that I'm in college, my pulled pork needs are just not being met!

So, I decided I needed to take matters into my own hands.  I've always heard that it was pretty easy to make, and seeing as it was a Badger football Saturday and roommate Tonia wanted everyone to get up early to tailgate before the 11am game, I thought it would be a pretty good occasion to try out my luck.


Ingredients
  • 3 lbs pork roast (mine was actually 3.3 lbs)
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 8 ounces beer
  • 32 ounces barbecue sauce

Season both sides of the pork roast with the onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.  I did not measure them out exactly but instead approximated.


Add the pork roast, beer, and most of the barbecue sauce to the crockpot.  I used Bud Light but would maybe suggest using a darker beer to add a little more flavor.  


Set the crockpot to cook on low.  It will need to cook for about 8 hours.  When I got back from the Badger game (victory over Indiana!) the pork had been cooking for about 6 hours and I found that it had floated to the top of the sauce, so I flipped it over to make sure both sides got thoroughly cooked.


A couple hours later I came back to get ready to shred the pork.  Mine actually ended up cooking for closer to 9 hours.


Pull the pork out of the crockpot and set it on a cutting board or pan.  Then take two forks and start pulling the pork apart and shredding it.


After the pork is shredded, put it back in the crockpot and stir in with the sauce.  Add more barbecue sauce as desired to taste.


Serve on a bun and enjoy!  


I shared my pulled pork with three of my roommates and my boyfriend, ate some leftovers the next day for lunch, and still had probably four sandwiches worth that I put in the freezer.

Recipe adapted from this crockpot barbecue beer chicken recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...