Thursday, April 9, 2015

Strawberry and Mixed Greens Salad


A couple of months ago I shared by go-to lunch salad, a sweet potato and mixed greens salad.  Honestly, after eating it almost daily for a month straight, my love for that salad faded (don't worry, I'm sure I will become obsessed again in the future because it's too tasty not too!)

Recently I decided to revamp it a bit to make it a little less wintery, and a little more springy.  While it's nowhere near strawberry season in Wisconsin, it must be it other places because they're all over at the grocery store in a rich red color and at such great prices!  Fresh, sweet strawberries replace the cinnamon honey roasted sweet potatoes while a salty, light feta steps in for the tangy goat cheese crumbles.  This salad is also topped with a sprinkling of craisins and a small handful of pecans.  If you're looking for a little more protein to round out this salad, go ahead and throw on some grilled chicken or some quinoa.  Feel free to customize with whatever you have on hand!


As you can see, after I photographed this beauty I threw it in a tupperware to take for my work lunch.  I suggest keeping the dressing separate if you're doing this as the balsamic vinaigrette can really eat away at the lettuce and by lunchtime it'll be really soggy.  If you don't have little dressing containers like I do, I'm intrigued with the mason jar salads as well.  If you're going to do that, I would suggest putting the dressing in first, then top with the pecans, craisins and feta, then throw in the strawberries and put the lettuce on top.  If you give it a try, let me know how it goes!


Ingredients:

  • 2-3 cups spring mix lettuce (or other choice of greens)
  • 1/4 cup strawberries, quartered
  • 2 tablespoons craisins
  • 2 tablespoons feta, crumbled
  • 1/8 cup pecans (or other choice of nut)
  • 2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette

Directions:

  1. Spread spring mix lettuce over large plate or bowl.
  2. Top with strawberries, craisins, feta and pecans.
  3. Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette.
  4. Toss and enjoy!
If you like this salad, you may also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...