- 4 oz dry elbow macaroni (try Ronzoni Smart Taste)
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 cups fat free low sodium chicken brother
- 1 cup skim milk
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups (about 10 oz) broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups 2% shredded sharp cheddar
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles in salted water according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter. Add chopped vegetables and sauté on low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and pepper to the pot and stir until smooth.
- Slowly add chicken broth, milk, nutmeg and dry mustard; whisking constantly. Set heat until medium-high until it comes to a boil. Cover and cook on medium-low about 10-15 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets, parmesan cheese, and stir well. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Cook uncovered until broccoli is cooked, about 5 minutes or to your liking.
- Add cheddar, mixing well until cheese melts and immediately remove from heat.
- Add cooked noodles and mix well.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Serve right away before pasta absorbs broth.
Recipe slightly adapted from Skinnytaste.