Adapted from Living Lou
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats
1/3 cup wheat bran
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4, scant, teaspoon nutmeg
1/4, scant, teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (2.25 oz bag)
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 real maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a muffin pan with liners or grease with cooking spray.
- Whisk the flour, oats, bran, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and walnuts in a bowl, to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine the apple sauce, milk, syrup and egg.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing to just combined. Be careful not to over mix it!
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Sprinkle the tops with bran and oats.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- These were best fresh out of the oven, just reheat them in the microwave! Try them with a little cream cheese or butter, delicious.