So yesterday while I was at work I was thinking about how it is less than two weeks until I leave to study abroad in Spain for the summer, and boy am I excited!!! The only problem is that being away for two months means two months of not cooking and baking, so I figured I should try to get in a couple of good posts before I leave.
I decided I wanted to bake a dessert so when I got home from work I looked through my two new cookbooks and found this bad boy. I was short a couple of ingredients though, so I decided to walk the couple of block to Trader Joe's since I had never been there which I am now embarrassed to say because it is my new favorite grocery store! It is awesome!
Recipe from Fresh, Fast and Fabulous: 2nd Edition.
- 1 3/4 cups oatmeal
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom of a 13x9 inch metal baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, 1 1/2 cups flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in melted butter, mixing well.
- Set aside 1 cup of oats mixture. Press remaining mixture into bottom of pan.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips and pecans.
- Mix caramel topping with remaining 1/4 cup flour. Drizzle over pecans to within 1/4 inch of edges.
- Sprinkle with remaining oats mixture.
- Bake for an additional 18 to 22 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan on wire rack. Then refrigerate until firm.