The recipe calls for cake flour, which I have never worked with before. I did some research and found that cake flour is better for fluffier results. I had to try it, especially because that was one of my complaints about the last cupcakes. I was very happy with the results! The only problem with these extra light and tasty cupcakes is that our chocolate chips sank to the bottom! However, it makes for a yummy surprise!
Perfect White Cake
adapted from allrecipes
2 3/4 c. sifted cake flour
4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
4 egg whites
1 1/2 c. white sugar
3/4 c. butter
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. Ghirardelli chocolate chips
1. Sift together cake flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Add 1/2 cup of sugar gradually and beat until soft peaks form. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, cream butter and the remaining cup of sugar. Alternating between sifted ingredients and milk, gradually add to bowl and mix.
4. Add in vanilla extract and meringue (the egg whites/sugar mixture). Be careful not to over-mix. To help avoid over-mixing, I folded in the meringue instead of using a hand mixer. Fold in chocolate chips, if desired.
5. Spread batter in a large cake pan or scoop into a lined cupcake pan. The recipe makes a few more than 24 cupcakes.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes for a cake, 20 to 25 minutes for cupcakes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wired rack.
7. Frost with your favorite recipe or the one below once completely cooled.
We made chocolate frosting found on the can of Ghirardelli's sweet ground chocolate and cocoa for these cupcakes. I struggled to get the perfect consistency. I actually made the frosting twice! The first time I added too much sugar so I scraped it off and tried again. The second round turned out great! It still had a bit more powdered sugar than the recipe called for so it was a good thickness. So don't be afriad to use a little more than the recipe calls for.
Ghirardelli Chocolate Frosting
1/4 c. butter
3 Tbsp. milk
1/2 c. Ghirardelli sweet ground chocolate and cocoa
2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
dash of salt
1. Melt butter in a saucepan on low heat. Add milk and ground chocolate and cocoa. Remove from heat
2. Add powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla.
3. Beat until smooth
4. Frost onto the cupcakes above or your favorite baking good