Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Greek Hummus Dip

Calling all football fans!  Ok, fine, even if you don't like football but are just a fan of munchies you're welcome too!  Throughout September we'll be bringing you recipes that are perfect for tailgating outside of Camp Randall Stadium or watching the Green Bay Packers play on a Sunday afternoon from the comfort of your couch. (Go ahead and insert your own favorite football team if you must.)  These munchies and snacks are the perfect compliment to any football experience!


Truth be told, the first time I made this Greek Hummus Dip was actually for my sister's baby shower.  But don't worry, I know it's football worthy because during said baby shower my dad and brother were downstairs in the man cave watching football and they kept coming upstairs to steal food, with this dip being one of their main targets.

I'm halfway convinced that my dad mainly enjoys dips because they give him an excuse to eat a whole bunch of chips.  His go-to dip is some sort of melted Velveeta concoction, which might be tasty, but when I sit down to enjoy some munchies I know that I usually end up enjoying a few too many so it's better to go with something a little easier on the waistline.


This Greek Hummus Dip is a great healthier alternative.  The base layer of hummus is packed with protein which is then topped with a variety of fresh veggies, dill, olives and my favorite cheese, feta!  Pita chips or veggies are my preferred dipping receptacles.  I like to think of this as the Mediterranean version of taco dip because it has all the same elements, the end result is just a different flavor.

I chose to use Sabra Roasted Pine Nut as my flavor of hummus because I don't like the hummus overpowering the fresh flavor of the toppings, but feel free to use whatever flavor you'd like.  I like using diced red bell pepper as a topping because of the color it adds but green would work as well.  Kalamata olives are seriously one of my favorite things, but if you have green or black olives on hand, go ahead and use those instead.  This is a very easy recipe to accommodate to your tastes or what ingredients you already have on hand.


Enjoy!
Kelsey

Ingredients
  • 16 oz hummus, your choice of flavor
  • 1 small cucumber, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/4 cup kalamata olives, diced
  • 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1 tablespoon dill
Directions
  1. In a serving dish, evenly spread a layer of hummus.
  2. Sprinkle cucumber, red bell pepper, kalamata olives, feta cheese and dill over hummus so it is evenly dispersed and all hummus is covered.
  3. Enjoy with your favorite choice of scooping device, like pita chips or vegetables.
Two Years Ago: Green Olive Red Noodles

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...