Thursday, December 11, 2014

Vanilla Bean Caramels


Yum, I love caramels. They're sweet and chewy and addictive! Last year around the holidays was the first time I tried making caramels. It can take awhile getting use to your candy thermometer and trusting it. My first ever batch was a bit runny like caramel sauce because I didn't let the mixture get hot enough. Lesson learned.



Luckily, I perfected my technique just in time for Christmas. They were a hit! So, I think it will become a tradition that I bring the caramels each Christmas from now on. This year, I tried a new recipe with less ingredients but I still think it has a great flavor.

What are some of your holiday must-have recipes? A few of ours include peanut butter blossoms, cake balls, and spritz cookies. The best part about these goodies, along with these caramels, is that we really only get them once a year. I think that makes them taste twice as good!

Happy Holidays!
Brittany


Ingredients
2 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla bean paste
1/2 lb. butter
1 c. light corn syrup
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk

Instructions
1. melt butter on medium heat in a sauce pan.
2. Mix in brown sugar and stir until it begins to melt
3. Add corn syrup and stir for 2-3 minutes.
4. Mix in the sweetened condensed milk.
5. Cook to exactly 245 degrees. This may take awhile and you may need to up the stovetop to high heat. The mixture will bubble vigorously for awhile. This is normal.
6. Off the heat, stir in vanilla.
7. Pour into a greased 9X13 pan.
8. Allow to cool, cut, and enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. They look great Britt! Might have to give them a try.

    As much as I love sugar cookie cutouts, it seems like I only get around to make them around Christmastime. I've started gathering cookie cutters for other occasions now too so that might have to change :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! I love cookie cutters...mostly for the homemade dog treats I make for Bear but also for the occasional human treat. My newest include autumn cutouts, I was addicted this fall!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...