This lasagna is only the second one I've ever made. The first time I used sauce from a jar, but this time I decided I wanted to make it myself. I tried making it the way my Mom does because it is always so scrumptious, but there is definitely plenty of room to alter the recipe as you please. I wanted to use spinach in mine, but it will taste equally delicious without.
- Wheat lasagna noodles (about 11)
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes (may want to use diced tomatoes with italian seasoning)
- 28 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Mozzarella cheese
- Ricotta low fat cheese
- Parmesan cheese
1. Brown ground beef. In a large pot mix together diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, ground beef, italian seasoning to taste, chopped onion to taste, diced garlic to taste, and butter. Simmer.
2. Cook wheat lasagna noodles as instructed on package.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Lay down a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan.
5. Add a layer of noodles, sauce, dollops of ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese.
6. Add layer of spinach if desired.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6.
8. Add a last layer of noodles, sauce, parmesan, and mozzarella.
9. Cook for 1 hour. Let sit for 10 minutes to allow lasagna to settle so the layers don't fall apart. Cut and serve.