Monday, June 16, 2014

Broccoli Salad

I love cookbooks.  I especially love cookbooks with big, colorful pictures and glossy pages.  I love flipping through them, looking at all the pretty pictures.  Oooing and ahhhhing over them.  Putting sticky notes in all the recipes I plan on making but almost never do because I always default to finding them on the internet instead.


As much as I love all the pretty pictures and glossy pages of a Giada cookbook, there's something to be said about a good old church cookbook.  The kind where all the parish member submit their family recipes and then it's sold as a fundraiser.  It's filled with lots of comfort food, simple, home cook type recipes that isn't usually found in those book publisher deal cookbooks.


When I asked my mom for her recipe for broccoli salad, she sent me a picture of two pages from the church cookbook and told me she took bits and pieces from each of the four broccoli salad recipes to make her own.   I took her advice.  Keeping the mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar dressing, but substituting some Greek yogurt in as well.  The broccoli and bacon was standard, but I decided to throw in raisins, red onion and cashews as well.  The dressing ended up being a little on the generous side, so if your looking to stretch the recipe a little farther or just have some extra broccoli sitting around, I think you could easily use 3.5-4 cups of broccoli bites.

Enjoy!
Kelsey


Ingredients
  • 3 cups broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
  • 10 strips of bacon, crumbled
  • 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup diced red onion
  • 1/2 cup cashews
Directions
  1. In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, yogurt, sugar and vinegar.
  2. In a large bowl, combine broccoli, raisins, onion and cashews.  Mix in dressing until salad is evenly coated.
  3. Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...