Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Strawberry Banana Bread


Here at Badger Kitchen headquarters we are officially declaring June to be Strawberry Month!  Check back each Wednesday this month for a new recipe using strawberries.  We're kicking off the month with this recipe for strawberry banana bread.


I finished my undergrad degree about a year ago now and having been working in the professional world (well part of the time working on getting into the professional world) ever since.  I've always enjoyed learning and generally speaking liked going to classes, but the main part of school that I do not miss is spending my free time studying.  Evenings that are free to do whatever I want you say?  Sold.

Which is why when I signed up to take the LSAT exam, it has been a little bit of a struggle to get back into studying mode.  No, I don't really want to come home from a day of work and spend my free time studying, but I better if I want to do well on this test!  Which is why I had been studying a little bit here and there for a while, but as the the test date is quickly approaching it has become my free time.


So when world collided this weekend and I had ripe bananas sitting on the counter, fresh strawberries in the fridge and was looking for a reason to take a study break, this strawberry banana bread was born.  If I had wanted to take a trip to the grocery store I would've made a healthier version, throwing in some applesauce and greek yogurt, but I had all the ingredients for this version already so I went with it.  I can at least pretend it's healthier since I didn't throw any chocolate chips in, right?

The strawberries add a nice twist to your typical banana bread recipe.  The banana flavor isn't super strong, so if that's the way you like it then perfect, otherwise you may want to try and sneak in another banana.  I had intended to freeze half the loaf but it made such a great study snack that before I knew it, it was almost gone anyways.

I hope you enjoy!
Kelsey


Recipe from Chew Out Loud

Ingredients
  • 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
  • 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup salted butter, melted
Directions
  1. In a bowl, toss sliced strawberries with granulated sugar, making sure all are coated.  Let sit.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour a loaf pan.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
  4. In a separate large bowl, beat eggs until slightly foamy.  Mix in vanilla, brown sugar and melted butter.  Add in macerated strawberries and mashed bananas.
  5. Using a rubber spatula, fold flour mixture into wet mixture until dry ingredients are just mixed in.
  6. Scrape into prepared loaf pan and bake for an hour, with additional time if needed so that toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean, with just a few crumbs.
  7. Let bread cool in pan on wire rack.  Wait until fully cooled before removing.
Two Years Ago: Caramel Oatmeal Chewies

2 comments:

  1. BEST MONTH EVER!!! I love making strawberry bread every June after going strawberry picking, but haven't put banana in it yet--duh. You are way ahead of me girl (PS. Good luck w/ studying! This looks like the perfect fuel.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumo! What a lovely loaf, strawberry and banana go so well together!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...